Eugenio Recuenco: The Old Ways Are New


Photography imitating art as in the previous post shows modern viewers how the techniques of the old masters are truly deserving of their accolade. While the photographer recreating these masterpieces is to be commended for his effort, most of the time it's the original artist that gets the praise. This is the case when photography directly recreates art instead of being inspired by it. Photographer Eugenio Recuenco takes the latter approach by borrowing the elements of the old ways to create something completely new.



Eugenio Recuenco is a highly sought after commercial photographer and director. Like Annie Leibovitz, his style incorporates many elements of a Hollywood production, with some scenes being built completely from scratch.

This flair for extravagance naturally translates to his ability to direct commercial videos, which are almost exactly like his photographs come to life.



This particular set of photographs incorporates a lot of the old style of portraiture with a modern touch. Art lovers will be familiar with the style of posing and backdrop while newcomers will appreciate the different style of portraiture used.

The style of portraiture is reminiscent of renaissance portraits; the profile or the three-quarter pose, the stoic expression, the landscape background, all combine to give an uncluttered yet majestic portrait.



It’s photographs like these that excite the mind even with their somber atmosphere and truly show that the old ways don’t necessarily mean old-fashioned. Indeed, many of today's artworks, whether they be in music, printed medium, sculpture or architecture have all taken inspiration from the masters of the past. In some cases, the old ways are forgotten for years or even decades only to be rediscovered by eager young artists.


Eugenio Recuenco's website is here. More old art inspiring modern photography can be found in the previous post.

Comments

  1. I'm not sure I like these. The chicks kinda creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing expression on the girls face, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't find these specially beautiful or anything. Just some portraits in my eyes..

    ReplyDelete
  4. completely looks like art. nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Photos are nice. I thought the background was painted but i guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. surreal dude, those look so weird in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In reference to Allen, I think I like these more than I would specifically because of her creepy vibe. I love the colors, I love how the background looks compared to the models. My eyes 'really' enjoyed this post. I took my time, took it in. Thanks for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like the style, cant fool my eyes tho

    ReplyDelete
  9. This style looks unique, but I don't know much about photography. Still, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In Pericles, his queen and daughter, seen, Following!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very unique style indeed! And there is something to be said about those expressions! I can't seem to take my eyes off of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an interesting concept, mimicking the old school portrait styles in photography. It gives a sort of epic importance to the subject. That dominance over a vast background really pulls in your attention. Same for the serious expressions, which I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually like those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked looking at these photos and I do see the Annie Lebowitz like quality. I like the one with the painted hand holding the apple and I think my favorite is the bottom photo because of the bright fashion details.

    -Dale

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a bit strange--normally people try to pretend they are not being photographed but they are awkwardly looking at us...eyeing us like those creepy photographs in haunted houses where the eyes go with you wherever you go.

    Sorry... I've gotten a bit behind on your posts! Hurricane Irene didn't help me much either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts