A Royal Portrait: Queen Elizabeth II by Annie Leibovitz


With April 29 fast approaching, it seems that every news segment on television nowadays is accompanied with updates on the upcoming Royal wedding of Prince William of Wales and soon-to-be Queen-in-waiting Kate Middleton. Before everyone else is captivated by this Royal wedding fever, a few words and pictures should be devoted to the reigning monarch of the Commonwealth, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, who is presented here in all her grandeur and elegance as photographed by Annie Leibovitz.

Ms. Leibovitz was the first American commissioned to take the British Monarch's portrait, and these four outstanding images are the result of that assignment three years ago.

 
This particular photo shoot wasn't without controversy, although the problem had to do with a trailer to a TV series documenting a year in the life of the Queen. Apparently, some executives decided it would be better to edit the trailer so that it appeared that the Queen was angrily storming out of this photo session. 

In reality, she was walking into the shoot. It was a rather misleading interpretation, and as a result, some people high up the ladder were forced to resign their posts.


The above photograph shows the Queen on the grounds of Buckingham Palace, giving her a sort of pensive and brooding mood. In reality, Her Majesty was photographed indoors and the outdoor scene was added in later digitally. Given the time frame and other constraints that Ms. Leibovitz had to work with, this photo and the other pictures were done very well. 

You can find out more about this particular photo shoot in her most recent book, Annie Leibovitz at work. Vanity Fair has an excerpt that you can read over here. You can also view this video taken from the same documentary mentioned above.


Queen Elizabeth II has reigned for 59 years, and all four photos show her resilience, vitality and majesty in the best light. It is therefore fitting that this post should come just before her Diamond Jubilee celebration next year.

Check out this previous post on Annie Leibovitz's photography. For those of you who stumbled upon this post looking for photos of the upcoming Royal wedding, you can indulge yourself over here or here. More of Ms. Leibovitz's work can be found in her book A Photographer's Life: 1990-2005. Her workflow describing her photo shoot with Queen Elizabeth as well as other notable subjects over the years can be read found in Annie Leibovitz at Work.



Comments

  1. That third one doesn't even look real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting pictures of the Queen. Definitely got me thinking since a couple of weeks ago the "queen" appeared in WWE's Raw when they were in the UK and she "knighted" Michael Cole...the audience was booing like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photoshopped, I can tell by the pixels. Also, April 29th is a horrible date, I hope the Space Shuttle Endeavour's final launch upshows them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @t =dgrphx=;
    hehe, yup. Looks like an old evil queen who likes eating virgins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, such a lot of negative feedback.

    i actually quite like them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pics of the Queen are really nice. I think the one at the top is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the third really dont look real...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can see the third pic is indeed editted, very obvious border around the woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate the fact that the tax payer is paying for this stupid wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. she reminds me of something evil...

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like them...
    all are looking awesome except 3rd one....

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah, I think some of these have been worked with to look like paintings . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have nothing against the royals, I just don't give a shit. And the third picture is really obvious, but the rest is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow those pictures are amazing. The Queen and the backgrounds are outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, I was about to mention the grounds pic too but I saw all the comments. Looked like a really good painting. The rest were quality though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. She looks like George Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful pictures, even if the queen were removed from them they would still have such a regal feel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What I like about these pictures they look like old paintings :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the 4th. However, I do not like the paperclip in the top corner :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't care what people say! She is a FOX

    ReplyDelete
  21. elegant pics, kinda creepy though

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wonder why these photos look like they were meant to make the queen look scary.

    ReplyDelete
  23. All of them don't really look like photographs

    ReplyDelete
  24. meh i dont really care about the wedding and im english, who needs a monarchy these days?

    ReplyDelete
  25. The first is such a magnificent photo! Do you have it in ultra-HQ?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I still don't know who this Kate Middleton is, or why we care about said wedding in the US. The pics are nice, but they look over-stylized and fake =/ Also, April 29 is my bday :P

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks great but i dont like her, or the "royal" family. The news is making their wedding a big deal when really its JUST a wedding, i dont care whether they are getting married or not, ppffft lol.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yeah, 1,2 and 4 are brilliant. Not a fan of the manipulated #3.

    ReplyDelete
  29. hahaha, I agree with Jack.

    Its retarded.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't care about the Royals or the upcoming wedding at all. Kick them out of their fancy homes and redistribute their wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is unethical...oh it's the queen, who cares!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Don't you just love fairy tales? I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Buckingham Palace - my home!

    No, really. My neighborhood is called "London Woods" and the house that I live is apparently called the Buckingham model according to real estate. Weird, isn't it?

    Anyway, random comment right there, but then again, I always make random comments. Oh, and the pictures of the Queen are truly magnifique.

    ReplyDelete
  35. beautiful. masterpiece. royal talent!

    ReplyDelete
  36. these all have a nice painterly quality

    ReplyDelete
  37. ahhhh this royal wedding stuff is starting to annoy me quite honestly :/

    ReplyDelete
  38. The second one from the bottom scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fantastic shots, long live the queen!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Mixed feelings on this one it seems

    ReplyDelete
  41. Those looks completely majestic :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. they look so awesome!!! it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I want to visit England someday!


    Please follow my blog!

    katofinance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. beautiful. almost look like paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Charles will be king for about 2 weeks at this rate! Glad she's still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Let's hope she doesn't "reign" on their parade :P

    ReplyDelete
  47. nice pictures, but i dont like her

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great photos, never supported the archaic monarchy though

    ReplyDelete
  49. love these photos, tbh im quite a fan of queen elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  50. None of them look real to me. Very nice, but not real. FREAKY.

    God save the queen.

    ReplyDelete
  51. mhh it's hard to believe that this are photos

    ReplyDelete
  52. I remember seeing these when they were first published. She looks so... Royal.

    ReplyDelete
  53. These are obviously beautiful photos. They're like paintings! So modern. So strong. It's amazing what technology can do in this day and age. I'm just starting out with my blog, but taking pictures has begun to remind me that I need to brush up on my photo skills! It's been a looong time since photo class. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  54. These photographs are magnificent!! Annie Leibovitz is an amazing photographer, one of my fav's!! I can't wait for the royal wedding this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Wow, Annie L is really one of the best photographers. I think they always look like they are straight out of a fairytale.

    xoDale
    Thanks for the comment too. I have to admit I can't wait to watch the wedding footage tomorrow and see what her dress will look like

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love the pictures. Love the palace interior and she looks exactly like you described in your post very resilient and majestic!

    xx
    Heel in Mint

    ReplyDelete
  57. I laughed till I peed...with the comment made that she looks like George Washington. Totally!! HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAAAA

    ReplyDelete
  58. What lovely photos! The first one especially shows the queen at her best, timeless, beautiful and wise.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi
    I like the way you start and then conclude your thoughts. Thanks for this nice information regarding regarding I really appreciate your work, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts